Bedrooms: Dark and Moody vs. Light and Bright

I'm in the process of redecorating my bedroom - nothing major, just new bedding, window treatments, things like that. I am in need of a change and perhaps a little simplification. The bedding I'm buying is all white linen. My current bedroom has a white rug and darkish green walls, all white molding. So, I think with the pale green bedroom set, it will look very pretty and simple. Am thinking of adding in some soft green and beige velvet pillows too. 


This is my last bedroom. Contrary to how it's lit for the photos, it was usually fairly dark, which I liked a lot.

I was chatting with my mother about my plans for my bedroom and the all white linens. Her response was a quick "well, it will be brighter" than the green coverlet (see above) with the dark green walls.  To which I immediately responded "I like a dark bedroom!". "Why???" said Mom. And it's true, my whole life, her bedroom was light and bright and she always throws open all the windows upon waking. Me, I like to ease into the day and never really let it in at all.   A dark bedroom depresses her while it soothes me.

It got me to thinking, are there "dark" and "light" bedroom people? While there are no rights and wrongs, where do people fall in their preferences.  So, I went to Google images to see if there are discernible trends. Below are groups of images - starting with my favorite design magazines, then onto decorators. Each are the first images that come up when I searched by magazine title and "bedroom". While not 100% accurate, the most popular results are not only images that appeared in the mags, or by the designers, but were also re-posted by bloggers and on websites. 

Take a look. I think it's interesting that overall, there is a discernable light vs. dark in each collection. Click on each group of images for a full size view.

Magazine favorites:

 Elle Decor

House Beautiful

Architectural Digest
Living, Etc.

Lonny

Rue Magazine

And now some designer favorites:

Charlotte Moss


Mary McDonald


Michael S Smith



Vicente Wolfe

I also checked in with Pinterest to see what members pinned as their favorites in the categories:

Pinterest readers select tag "airy" bedrooms


Pinterest readers tag "bright" bedrooms

Pinterest readers tag "dark and moody"bedrooms

And finally, here are my favorite images in the two categories that I pinned on Pinterest:
My favorite light and bright bedrooms found on Pinterest



My favorite dark and moody bedrooms found on Pinterest

I can't explain why, but the dark and moody bedrooms make my heart race in a way that the lights and brights do not, though they are all beautiful.

So, what say you? Do you have a preference above, and, does it match your actual bedroom?